my lucky day

May 8, 2009


image originally uploaded by hannah aviva

This afternoon I'm tucked away at table 27 (my lucky number, how could I resist sitting here?) in a local cafe that has free wireless internet when you buy a coffee. So...hot chocolate in hand (with 2 marshmallows), here I am, slowly making my way through emails and 765 blog posts (boy you guys have a lot to write about!).

This week has been one of reflection, fuelled by the discovery of a box of old letters and photographs from my high school and university years. I have a tendency to keep every letter, card, note ever sent to me and while I often thought of throwing them out in the past, I am so glad now that I didn't. It can be quite amusing reading letters written to me by people I used to know. It makes me think - where are they now, what are they doing? As I was nearing the bottom of the pile I uncovered some emails and letters written by a once very close friend of mine. Due to a silly and stupid incident (all my fault) we lost touch many years ago. I really should have picked up the phone and apologised straight away, but for whatever reason I didn't. And now 7 or 8 years have gone by, and here I am, reading these letters and wondering where my friend is and really wanting to talk to them. So....what did I do? I picked up the phone and dialled the last known number I had for them (after checking the phone book to make sure it was still the correct number!). No answer. I tried a few more times, but still nothing. I almost lost my nerve. Would this person want to hear from me? I decided to write a letter. I crossed my fingers when I put it in the mailbox. Two weeks went by and yesterday I came home to discover a letter from my friends Mum - my friend is now living in France, and my letter has been forwarded over there! So, I'm excited, but still a bit nervous about the whole thing. I'm also kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

Hm, this has turned in to a much longer post than I had anticipated! I will spare you the other topics I was going to talk about (such as my thoughts on where my life is heading) until another time. 

PS Regular posts on crafting and sewing and other inspiration will resume shortly : )

7 comments:

  1. yay! yay! yay! so glad you're back! i'm sure i speak for heaps of us when i say - we've missed you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and good on you for making contact with your estranged friend! can't wait to hear how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an exciting story, fingers crossed you get an answer you hoped for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet ... I hope you hear back from the long lost ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so touching. I'm sure that you will hear from them since you took the brave first step. Will stay tuned..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's wonderful !
    The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, I found my best friend from 15 years prior (we lost contact when I left for the country), she even remembered my birthday after all that time. Whilst I haven't caught up with her since, she still lets me know which place she's off to next & what she's doing ..
    I think if a friend is truly special, they will be very happy you found them !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely getting back in touch with old friends, you get to relive old times be amazed at just how much you both have changed :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - we read each and every one and will try our best to respond back.

All comments are moderated by the author, please be patient for your comment to appear and please only submit your comment once.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger