time to slow down

September 11, 2009



Isn't it funny how things happen at just the right moment? I was catching up on some favourite blogs today when this post from All Toile and No Reward caught my attention:

The NannaTechnology Project starts today- living simply for our future 
Spring has sprung and there is no better time to launch the NannaTechnology Project. With spring comes light and growth and the urge to get active again after months of hibernation- perfect for launching a project which aims to bring people together, and learn and share the skills from our Nannas across the country. The NannaTechnology Project is all about living simply for our future.

Today we no longer have to knit late at night, garden when nobody is looking and pretend not to enjoy baking. From today we can celebrate the skills we have learnt from our Nannas and share them with others who also enjoy them.

The NannaTechnology Project shines the spotlight on a silent movement emerging in our communities. The return of homemade, handmade, knowing your neighbours, growing your own and slowing down. NannaTechnology represents a lifestyle that is better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet.

The NannaTechnology Project is harvesting Nanna's wisdom, experience and skills to create a new wave of Nannas. The Project identifies the skill-set we need for our future and is now actively seeking them from Nannas across the country. These skills will be matched with a new generation of Nannas and distributed far and wide to be shared with anyone who is seeking a simpler, healthier life.

Visit the shiny new website
Its starts with the website that brings together people and organisations living the Nanna lifestyle and Nannas across the country to share and swap information, tools, tips, tricks, recipes and thoughts on how to live a simpler, more sustainable life. It will evolve as Nannas young and old bring their wisdom to the project - so we need you. It is split into sections to capture the skills we are seeking - Cook - Grow - Clean - Save - Make - Live

Check it out - 
www.nannatechnology.com.au.

Why NannaTechnology - how the project came to be
The NannaTechnology project grew from a group of young women realising that they were becoming a Nanna ahead of their time and loving it. They found by taking time to smell the roses, learning to garden, bake and cook and learning to make stuff, it made them happy. It was a much needed escape from an ever busier world. And they weren’t alone. By embracing their inner Nanna and telling others about it, there were many more Nannas just waiting to be unleashed.

Let the cooking, growing, cleaning, saving, making and living begin!

I have been thinking a lot lately about how to simplify my life - to create time for the things that make me happy. I love sewing, and love the time I spend working on Rabbit & the Duck - there is nothing that makes me happier than to be at home with a big pile of fabrics around me, listening to some favourite music, perhaps the smell of cookies in the oven (not the other night, when I burnt them, but when they reach that smell-so-good-you-can't-wait-to-eat-them stage).

So, this brings me to some news! Next week is my last week of full-time employment. After that I start a new part-time job, which will give me a lot more time to focus on Rabbit & the Duck. I might even have time to develop all those ideas on my to do list. 

I am looking forward to this new phase of my life, one filled with lots of handmade loveliness and time spent at home working in my pajama's. Did I really just admit that?

8 comments:

  1. I just signed up to join the nanna movement.
    that is exciting and brave to leave work- good on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo Thanks for sharing, will do too.
    Good luck with your job in your pj's ;-) What ever happens, stay happy and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray!! exciting times!! i know you'll thrive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how we have all embraced practices that we probably thought were quite daggy 20 years ago. I know that my Nanna would be very proud of me if she was around and somedays I think I can feel her with me when I am in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, firstly, power-to-you for listening to your instincts and going part-time, you'll be honoured for that choice, i am so sure. let the life working in pj's begin! secondly, i was an 11 yr old nanna, embroidering and cross-stitching, making my own cards and little creaturs with felt etc.....but never, never told many peers about it....it was something for me to do in the safety of my home, with my mum. in my teens and 20's, although i loved crafting, i couldn't make my two worlds - partying and nanna-ing - work. so the nanna-ing took a backseat....until now! yay! thanks for the heads-up re; the website, will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your news, that is very exciting indeed! Sometimes I wish I had the courage to take that step.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving the idea of nannatechnology! And the new part-time job is wonderful news! We must catch up soon - there should be a craft night on Thursday 24th if you are free?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - we read each and every one and will try our best to respond back.

All comments are moderated by the author, please be patient for your comment to appear and please only submit your comment once.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger