hello good morning

November 26, 2010

I've been thinking a lot lately about life. Why we do what we do. Who we are. What does it all mean. Are we just individuals walking our own path or is there something greater, something that connects us all. 

Most mornings, or at least a few times a week, I like to take a walk along the beach. There are always lots of other people out doing the same thing. I've always been interested in the way that complete strangers interact with each other. For as long as I can remember I've been one of those people who will happily walk with my head held high, until I see someone approaching from the opposite direction. On a suburban street I would often find myself crossing the road so that I wouldn't have to cross paths with that person. But on the beach, on a narrow path, you do not have that option. So what to do? For me it's been a head down, do not make eye contact type of thing. But why? It certainly didn't make me feel anymore at ease, and I'm sure the other person didn't feel that happy about it either. 

Last week I decided to try a new approach. I would keep my head high, and I would look at the other person as they approached me. If they made eye contact, I would say hello. I was surprised at the results. Almost every single person I passed said hello or good morning back. With a smile. For a moment, there was a sense of connection, even though these were people I'd never met and may never see again. It was a good feeling. I still don't know what the meaning of life is (if anyone does, please share!) but I do know that there is a bigger picture - and I've just completed another piece in the puzzle. 

I would love to hear your thoughts on this! 

7 comments:

  1. i love hellos to strangers! especially to older people who often look lonely or like they really appreciate the connection, even if it's just for a moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting insight and wisdom.

    I am sure life (pain and joy) is all about relationships with people.

    There is a huge population of people for each of us to meet and relate with, if only we look them in the eye and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your change of attitude. I reckon that when someone takes the stand of not being afraid (of rejection maybe?) then others respond, usually nicely. They're probably pretty relieved there's someone friendly behind the guise of a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a "hello stranger" type of person. That's because I'm from Perth, where people still do that with a smile. And I'm also lucky to live in a fairly nice suburb where I have a reasonable expectation that other residents are not muggers. Which makes it easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having an amusing child with you is great for prompting eye contact and hellos with strangers. After laughing at a child doing something stupid the observer is obliged to acknowledge the parents.

    Long story short, these days I get a lot of hellos while walking through the park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's always nice to at least look at the person you are passing (esp at close proximity) and offer a hello if they look and acknowledge you. If they look away well obviously it's their problem. But I always try and smile at least and say hello when I pass people on quiet streets. You just don't know how much that friendly face means to the other person.
    You have some fantastic work, glad I found your blog. :)

    xo MODELmumma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have and always will be, one of those people who walk past with a smile and say "Hi!" Keep it up the world needs more smiles from strangers. A smile is a lovely gift anyone can give. I have just found your blog after I was given one of your phone covers as a present for Christmas. I really like your creations and am really enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - we read each and every one and will try our best to respond back.

All comments are moderated by the author, please be patient for your comment to appear and please only submit your comment once.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger