sunday afternoon in the kitchen

August 21, 2011

{source}

I've just emerged from the kitchen with a delicious bowl of homemade pumpkin soup. I think this time I've finally figured it out. Previous attempts have been too bland, too watery, too spicy (from the time I accidentally put too much curry paste in the pot, oops). So I thought you might like to make some too, while we still have a few weeks of pumpkin soup weather left (though you wouldn't know it, the sun is shining today and it's actually warm outside, spring is coming!).

Here's what you need (these are rough estimates, since I never think to write these things down as I go):

1/2 pumpkin
1 medium sweet potato
2 carrots
Fresh or dried red chilli
400 ml tin coconut milk
1 bunch coriander
Dash of tamari sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Here's what you do:

Peel and chop your veggies into cubes about 2cm square. I ended up with the same amount of pumpkin as the potato and carrots combined, as a guide.

Heat a good lug of olive oil in a large pot. Add your veggies and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes. I used dried chilli flakes (about 1/2 teaspoon) but if I'd had fresh chilli I would have used that instead.

Add the coconut milk and a couple of cups of cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer with the lid off until the veggies are cooked.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Then add your coriander (roughly chopped) and a dash of tamari sauce. Using a blender or a stab mixer puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and then eat with some crunchy toast. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Sounds a bit like a thai pumpkin soup with the coconut milk.
    How gorgeous is the sun today!! Was getting a tan. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of all the gourds! Can't wait for autumn to come! This reminds me of a squash soup recipe I love, but you could use pumpkin. With this recipe, you pan fry apples and onions for the top and serve it with beer bread....it is amazing!

    Thought you might like it. Here's the link....
    http://www.elabs7.com/functions/message_view.html?mid=563027&mlid=499&siteid=20130&uid=6efac030b7

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - we read each and every one and will try our best to respond back.

All comments are moderated by the author, please be patient for your comment to appear and please only submit your comment once.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger